The Film Blog
Monday, 24 January 2011
Music Highlight: Sara Melson, Gram Rabbit & Gus Black
Over the past few months, THE POWER OF TWO team has worked with Primal Scream Music to match the perfect soundtrack with our film. Our Los Angeles-based music supervisor, Nicole Dionne, has done an exceptional job joining each scene of the film with a specific musical artist to best describe the mood and feeling of that story point. Eleven different artists have contributed 16 beautiful songs to THE POWER OF TWO soundtrack and we want you to get to know each of them. Below are our three picks of the day- more to come soon!
Photo © Josh Rifkin via saramelson.com
Sara Melson grew up in Indiana and graduated from Harvard University before moving to Los Angeles in the pursuit of music. As her bio reads, “Sara lives somewhere between rock, pop, and folk, with timeless songs that blur boundaries between the genres.” Moving between her skills as a classical pianist and self-taught guitarist, Sara both writes and sings her own songs. She has played alongside Ben Folds Five, Silversun Pickups, and the Dandy Warhols. To find out more about Sara Melson see her website and follow her on Facebook. Click below to hear what she’s made of with the song, Feel It Coming:
Gram Rabbit is a rock band based in Joshua Tree, California and led by vocalist/musician Jesika von Rabbit. The band formed in 2004 to include Todd Rutherford (guitarist/bassist/programmer/vocalist), Hayden Scott (drummer) and Ethan Allen (guitarist/producer). Gram Rabbit was noted best new LA Band at the LA Weekly Music Awards in 2005 and has since been featured in the soundtrack of several television shows, earning them a nomination at the 2010 Hollywood Music in Media Awards. Watch their live performance of “Dirty Horse” and stream music free at Gram Rabbit’s Myspace.
Gus Black, a Los Angeles-born singer/songwriter, has been releasing one successful indie/folk/rock record after the next since the mid 90s. His music has been featured in the film, “Scream,” and in various television shows including “Alias” and “Grey’s Anatomy.” His most recent album, “Today Is Not the Day…” will soon be followed by “The Day I Realized…” to be released on February 25, 2011. Watch the music video for “Waiting In the Cold” below and see Gus Black’s website and Myspace for more songs.
Look out for “Feel It Coming” and “Happy Endings” by Sara Melson; “They’re Watching” by Gram Rabbit; and “The Afterlife” by Gus Black in THE POWER OF TWO soundtrack! Thank you to Nicole Dionne all the talented musicians who have made our film what it is.
- Tuesday, 21 December 2010 Looking to 2011, Reflecting on 2010: Blog Highlights from Ana & Isa As the new year approaches, Ana & Isa Stenzel eagerly look toward 2011 while reflecting on the trials and triumphs of the past year. Throughout 2010, the Stenzel twins have graciously shared an intimate window into...
- Thursday, 16 December 2010 Share Our Movie Poster, Spread Awareness! After five months of around-the-clock post production — editing, designing motion graphics and creating the soundtrack, we are just weeks away from completing THE POWER OF TWO! We step into the new year eager to showcase...
- Thursday, 26 August 2010 The Black Keys Ultimate Fan Auction Bid Here: The Black Keys Ultimate Fan Collection The Black Keys Hollywood Concert Tickets Attention music lovers: The Black Keys, Akron, Ohio’s most wanted blues-rock duo, has generously donated a 17-item “Ultimate Fan Collection” and a...
- Thursday, 12 August 2010 Looking Back on Madison As you already read in our “Update from the 2010 NKF Transplant Games,” our PowerStudio at the NKF Transplant Games Expo was a great success, and Ana and Isa each won 3 medals at the Games!...
- Wednesday, 04 August 2010 Update from the 2010 NKF U.S. Transplant Games Madison, WI: The past week has been a whirlwind of impassioned competition, grand ceremonies, and filmed personal one-on-one encounters at the 2010 National Kidney Foundation U.S. Transplant Games. Our booth at the Games Expo was a...